Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Covenants by Lorna Freeman

Amazing Polish for a First Novel

If I had any Idea how good this was it would have been read as soon as I got my hands on it. I like to try novels from first time authors, and ROC is wise enough to publish them in paperback so you can afford to try books by their new authors. So when I saw this on the shelves I picked it up and put it onto my pile of first time writers to be read when I had finished off some books by favorite authors. And there it sat until last weekend.
Once I started I was drawn into the characters, the world the author has created and the story she has spun and pulled along until I had finished the book. All these parts were so polished that it is still hard to believe that ( as far as I know) this is a first novel. One of the real strengths is that the central character - Rabbit - is surrounded by such interesting/strong characters that it is more as if the story revolves around him than that he is the "hero". So if you are looking for a Fantasy read, do yourself a favor and pick up this book. And know that when the next Borderlands novel comes out ( we are promised the author is working on that), that it will be going straight to the top of my "To Read List".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home